Tuesday, February 3, 2015

being a mom is no picnic


Here is a text I sent one of my best friends today:


For a little context, Noah is teething hardcore. He is cutting TWO teeth. Sounds exciting right? Oooo he will be able to eat real food soon. Woohoo. But no. Teeth are no fun. If you ever hear a mom say that their child is teething, you should automatically give her a break. In fact, give her a hug, more coffee, and some chocolate. She needs all the help she can get. Because teething isn't just getting teeth.

It's an unpredictable schedule.

It's no sleeping.

Or it's a little bit of sleep here and there but you never get that good sleep where you actually feel rested.

It's fighting with your spouse over really really really silly things.

It's getting nothing done around the house.

It's feeling like a failure.

So after wallowing in my sorrows for an hour or so and googling words like "failure" "first time mom" and "teething", I've learned that I am not alone in these feelings of failing. Moms thinking they are failing is actually pretty common. Let me be more specific in my "failures" so far this week:

-I screwed up mashed potatoes. WHAT?! I make my own bread, and tortillas, and pretzels for Christ's sake! And I've made mashed potatoes hundreds of times. But last night for some reason I put way too much milk in. And I cried about it. I made two perfectly seared t-bone steaks and roasted asparagus but I CRIED OVER MASHED POTATOES. It sounds silly. But I am telling you, at the time it was the end of the world.

-I didn't finish the laundry yesterday. I wanted to get all the towels, bibs, jammies, and The Hubs work clothes all done and folded and ready for the week. HAHAHA. I got maybe two loads of laundry washed and folded.

-I burned several tortillas. I was trying to get tortillas done before Noah woke up from his nap ready to eat lunch, but he wasn't having that.

-There are dishes EVERYWHERE. I have a big kitchen with plenty of counter space. Every inch is covered right now. #ew

But you know what? It feels quite good to make a list of these failures and realize how silly they sound. I have an 8 month old unpredictable child who is teething.

I need to give myself a break.

I ate a healthy lunch.

I made tortillas. FROM SCRATCH.

I cooked my family a delicious meal. Yeah the mashed potatoes were inedible, but I was on my feet for most of the day yesterday working hard. I still got some laundry done, and I will get the dishes done eventually. We do not buy paper plates so I'll get desperate enough I'm sure. lol.

In other news, today is day 30 of the Bikini Body Mommy Challenge 3.0. I will weigh-in and take my measurements. I'm hoping to share how the journey has been thus far later this week. I definitely feel better, and I'm looking forward to the progress I have made thus far.

It's been a heaven of a week....and it's only Tuesday!



xoxo
Megan

1 comment:

  1. Your job right now is to take care of that little bundle of yours. Everything else will be there tomorrow. Just make sure you don't have company for a bit because that will only add more stress. Enlist the aid of your sisters and mom and ask for a bit of help. Don't be too proud to do that. We all went through this and it is not fun. Love you!

    ReplyDelete