Wednesday, January 7, 2015

food prep: shredded chicken

Another way we survive thrive as a one-income family is by prepping food in advance. An easy food to pre-make and freeze is shredded chicken.



When I first saw this bag of "grilled and ready" pulled chicken breast, I was taken aback. Why in the heck would you ever buy this? It's literally pre-shredded chicken breasts. How hard is it to get a raw chicken breast, cook it, and shred it?! LET ME TELL YOU:

IT'S NOT.



Okay so mine may not be as pretty or as colorful as Tyson's, I'll give them that. But it only has ingredients in it that I WANT. Not all of these:
Boneless, skinless chicken breast with rib meat, water, contains 2% or less chicken broth, chicken fat, dried chicken, flavoring, lemon juice concentrate, maltodextrin, rice four, salt, sunflower oil, yeast extract.

Okay some of these may be harmless, but why is there dried chicken in chicken breast? And could we elaborate on this "flavoring"? Hmmmmm

My recipe for shredded chicken is quite simple. Coconut oil, garlic powder, onion powder, dried onion, and chicken.

Not sure why there's an angle...*dramatic effect*

I prefer fresh chicken from the farmer's market but whatevs, this was on sale.
I don't really have anything cool to say about these.

Add about a tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan on medium, and allow it to melt. Then add your chicken. Don't waste your time defrosting, you may cook the frozen ones while in their frozen state.

    Mmmmm
Oooo chicken so pretty

I'm not really good at timing things, so just cook one side until it's ready to be flipped, and flip it. I don't know how to explain it so don't ask me. As my BFFs dad has always told me "you will just know."



Another angle for your viewing pleasure





Then I get out this beauty. It took a LOT of begging/pleading/convincing to The Hubs that this is an acceptable way to spend $300. I've had it for over a year now and it's worth it's weight in gold. But do not fear, you can shred chicken with two forks just as well.



Throw that chicken in the silver bowl of glory. Add your spices. And shred away.


TA DA.

Now you have shredded chicken ready to go at your convenience.  It's really great for The Hubs who can't cook to save his life could use a little help in the kitchen from time to time. You can microwave it, or add it back to a pan to heat up.

Enjoy!

xoxo
Megan

                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment