Wednesday, January 14, 2015

time flies when you are having fun...er...have a teething baby

                                             
^{They are becoming BFFs. But not even 2 seconds after this picture was taken, Flynn heard a noise, ran to the door, and knocked Noah over. Flynn is ridiculously clumsy.}

Noah has kind of been....a baby lately. I realize he is actually a baby, but he has been pretty easy to take care of. Which he should be considering how awful the pregnancy and birth was getting him here. They are becoming BFFs. But not even 2 seconds after this picture was taken, Flynn heard a noise, ran to the door, and knocked Noah over. Flynn is ridiculously clumsy.

But lately he's been crankier. And cries a LOT more. It takes a toll on me. It makes it harder to have a clean house. It makes it nearly impossible to have any sanity left.

I think he has a tooth coming in.

It may not sound like that big of a deal...but any parents out there going through these trials will definitely here me when I say: BRING ON THE BOURBON.

Not just to rub on his gums, but also for the parents.

Now I haven't actually tried the whiskey/bourbon on the gums trick, as I am saving it for when things REALLY get bad. Like 2-3 teeth coming in at once bad. For now I make sure he has a million things to chew on at any given moment, drop whatever I am doing to bring him comfort, and just cuddle for dayyyyyyyyys. Sometimes the cuddling doesn't help though. Then I just have a baby screaming in my ear.

Side note: I realize the whole "alcohol on gums" thing is controversial. I realize it's not for everyone. I know some mommies get REALLY defensive about why it's bad, etc. But it worked for my parents, my grandparents, and probably their parents. So if nothing else seems to help the screaming baby, you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to try it.

And while we are on the topic of parenting....can I just let those without kids or mommy facebook groups and whatever the hell I've gotten myself into in on a little secret? THE PARENTING WORLD CAN BE REALLY MEAN.

There are some people who pop out a kid and then think they are like experts on errrrything. "Don't do this because xyz" "Do this because abc." I just want to reach through the computer and slap them sometimes. DUDE. NO ONE REALLY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. WE JUST DO WHAT WORKS.

Yeah I do my research before I make a decision on how to parent. So don't worry, I'll do me, and you do you. Why do you care if I breastfeed or formula feed? Why do you care if I let my son CIO for 10-15 minutes before bed? Why do you care if I put cereal in his bottle?

Women struggle enough with self-doubt. I ask myself some of these same questions. I am not perfect, but I am also not stupid. And I can't believe how many women I have seen *gasp* at something another mommy does. All kids are different so what works for one may not work for another.

All you mommies out there---please know that you are awesome. If you are breastfeeding, that is wonderful. I know how hard it is to be a milk factory 24/7. If you are formula feeding, that is also wonderful. I know how hard it can be to wonder if you are doing the right thing. I wanted to breastfeed. I tried for a couple months. But between postpartum depression and an inverted nipple, ultimately formula has been what is best for Noah and I. {No these aren't excuses. These are reasons.}

If you co-sleep, that is awesome! I am glad it works for you. I couldn't even have Noah in the same room as me in the bassinet. Every little sound woke me up. So he has been in his own room in his crib from nearly day 1.

If you put cereal in your baby's bottle at night because you are tired and want a full night's rest, please know I hear you girlfriend. Our grandma's and mom's did it. And I was hesitant at first. Because I am afraid of what other people think. I was so scared that someone in a mommy facebook group would find out and talk about me. But then I decided I would much rather have more sleep than lose another minute worrying about what they thought.

Point is, this mommying thing can be really hard. I mean, anyone who knows me knows that I am incredibly indecisive. It's an anxiety thing. I am ultimately afraid of making the "wrong" choice. Even parking. When I was learning how to drive, my stepdad would put me to the ultimate test and not talk while I was driving. I would ask him where to turn, where to park, etc. And he would look at me and say, "I don't know. You're the driver." But I was so afraid that if I turned right when he wanted me to turn left that I would disappoint him. I do this with EVERYTHING. So imagine my delight when now I have to co-make all the decisions for a tiny human.

I am probably not doing it all right. But we are doing alright. This too shall pass.

Thanks for following along.

xoxo
Megan


3 comments:

  1. Others should not be telling you what you should or should not be doing, but should be telling you what has worked for them. This will add to your bank of possibilities to try, or not, for yourself. FYI, Eric was given rice cereal at 4 days old. He would not stop crying. He was simply hungry! My mom figured that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Megan! Why is it that all other mommies judge us all the small things...
    Is the baby happy- if yes the don't judge it
    Is the baby feed and healthy - if yes don't judge
    Is the baby safe - if yes then leave the poor mother/father alone
    I have seen this too much at work where they will judge one mom cause she should "know better" but not the other mom! For example mom1 (should know better) has her 6 week old in her car seat the straps are a bit to loose not like crazy loose but a bit, other instantly freak out and yell at her and shame her! Mom 2 Has a 6week old whom you can get out of her seat with out even in doing it, but because she is the mom they feel sorry for never bad mouth her! Both moms are single 2nd time moms! Mom 1 bottle feeds mom 2nurses sos the one women is harder in mom 1. It's seriously a sad world

    ReplyDelete